Jacksonville Review – September 2026
OUR HISTORY SATURDAY presentation for July, “Fire! The History of Fires in Pioneer Jacksonville” featured sisters and popular History Saturday presenters, Ireland and Roan Reed, who got everyone’s attention immediately by beginning their talk with a pop quiz!
We soon learned that Jacksonville’s five major fires between 1867 and 1888 were largely the result of the town’s hasty construction, which focused more on speed than permanence. Early steps by town leaders to address fire safety generally fell on deaf ears, although by 1862 we had a combined firehouse and city records office (with fire bell!)…just not much inside beyond hooks and ladders to pull burning walls and roofs down in an attempt to stop a fire’s spread. With wood buildings, and no reliable water supply, efforts focused on saving lives and possessions—beds being top-of-the-list!
After major fires in the early 1870s, a new ordinance was passed requiring brick buildings in the commercial area, and in 1883 Jacksonville Engine Company Number One was formed and received widespread support. Wells were dug along California Street to feed a center-of-town cistern and give the town a reliable water supply to fight fires, and the town board approved the purchase of a Rumsey Pumper Wagon to give firemen a way to get water from the cistern to a burning building.
There was one more big fire, at the New State Saloon in 1884, made worse by a fire equipment malfunction, and ironically the town leader who championed purchase of the pumper wagon, David Linn, suffered a major loss at his Oregon St. location. Overall, though, things were definitely better!
Thank you, Ireland and Roan, for this very interesting presentation of important Jacksonville history.
(For more: 2022 Meet the Pioneers video, chapter: “David Linn, Thomas Reames,”on our website).
Our Marker Cleaning Workshops have continued to bring out both new and experienced volunteers who have cleaned an amazing 113 markers so far this year! Thanks to all for the great work!
History Saturday in the Cemetery, Saturday, September 12, 10-11:30am, “Native Americans – the Rogue Valley’s First Residents”—No advance registration is required. May not be suitable for the very young. Please dress for the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes. There is no fee for the tour, however donations supporting our programs are greatly appreciated.
Marker Cleaning Workshop, Saturday, September 19, 9am-noon—Come learn the latest techniques to safely clean and preserve the grave markers in our cemetery. This is a hands-on workshop, so dress accordingly. Bring a stool to sit on, plus sunscreen and a hat.
All Events—Meet at the Sexton’s Tool House, top of Cemetery Road. Parking within the cemetery.
Please check our website at friendsjvillecemetery.org for future events and programs.
Leave A Comment